Thursday, October 29, 2015

Peaches in the Summertime. Apples in the Fall.

-Posted by Isaac

I've got two quick posts, both featuring my better half, both with very little to do with bees.

Except this:
And I thought my bees never swarmed?

I was working a yard a few days ago, looked up and found this ghost town. Cool picture.

So anyway, our friend Kristen Baughman from Curly Girl Farm throws a big apple butter party every year. Jayne never misses it, but me, I've always found an excuse.
Until this year.

Turns out, it was really fun. And a learning experience. Kristen gets about a thousand apples cooking in a big copper pot over the fire. Then she gathers about a hundred friends to help with the festivities.


About dark, the apple butter had become thick enough to scoop and put into mason jars. And I mean a lot of mason jars! It was a well-organized craziness. Jayne knew just what to do.


Me, I just hung out with my drinking buddies.



After filling what seemed like a few hundred jars, we all partook of the leftovers. Kristen had baked a bunch of biscuits for this very purpose. 


I swear, I've never tasted anything so good.


The apple party was two weeks ago. All those filled jars found their way home with many of the partiers. I wonder how many are still around? Not much left at our house.

 Every now and then, we even share with our children.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Isaac, can you give us more information about the beeswax hanging from the tree. Was that a stop-over until they found a suitable place? Is that what they built as a camp, or did something unfortunate happen? Thanks, Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,
      Truthfully, I'm a little confused myself. Maybe an expert out there can weigh in.
      This was obviously a swarm that hung for quite a while. Long enough to build a bit of comb. Sometimes this happens. I think the dark area is also where there was once brood. The mystery is, why are they now gone? Did they somehow know that it wasn't a suitable spot for winter? Would they leave brood and honey stores? I don't know...

      Delete