Sunday, February 9, 2014

We've Gone International

-Posted by Isaac

A few months ago, Jon, store manager at Saraga International Grocery called and wanted some local honey.

My first thought was no, not worth it... we would be on the shelves next to dozens of honeys from all over the world. Customers wouldn't automatically pick Honeyrun just because it was local. It would move slow and we'd be dealing with granulation issues. Besides, I had never even heard of Saraga (I'm so worldly!)
Well, Jon still thought it would sell and he's a convincing guy. He talked me into it.
Turns out he was right:

C'on Jon, check the shelves!
After dropping off the second delivery I strolled the aisles looking for some Honeyrun honey. Nary a drop to be had! One measly 8oz Fall honey stood as lone sentinel in the local honey section. Apparently the international shopper still wants local.
I continued my aisle strolling.


It's a cool store. Check it out if you get a chance. Many things to pique your curiosity. Interesting, fun, different...
Have you ever tried jackfruit?


The store is sectioned off by continents and countries and every aisle holds a culinary multicultural treat. With the honey selling so well in the American aisle, I'm thinking maybe we should expand overseas with the bee business.  McDonalds... DuPont... Why not Honeyrun Farm?
I think I've previously confessed my unrequited desire for a chalet in the Swiss Alps:


Or how about a division in Tanzania? We'll keep bees in the shadows of Kilimanjaro:


Or maybe a morning coffee on the Great Wall before lighting the smoker:


Don't worry, we'll faithfully continue to provide you, our loyal locals with the highest quality honey from our world headquarters in Pickaway County. The Saturday market logistics may become more complicated, but I'm sure it's nothing a few private jets can't overcome.

If you start to feel overwhelmed with traveling wanderlust, you can always make your way back to the American aisle to find good ole burgers, fries and ice cream. They've even got a section devoted specifically to the Midwest:

Fully stocked in the American Aisle:  Sugar!

Our honey can be found right next to the Electric Kool-Aid Corn Syrup Chocolate Chunk Creamsicle Sugar Bombs.

Thanks for buying international.

Grazie.

No comments:

Post a Comment