Monday, January 6, 2014

A quick thought on consumption

Isaac and I had the opportunity to take a "market date" last Saturday, where we hired a babysitter and both got to go to the Worthington market together to sell our products.  Afterwards, we had lunch at Northstar Cafe', where they place thought-provoking quotes on their order number cards.  I enjoyed our quote.  


 What a great quote for the sociologist at heart.  The truth is, I don't always make the best choices about the food I buy.  But I want to do better.  Better doesn't always mean spending more money or going out of the way to buy exclusive food items.  But it certainly means a commitment to less processed food and convenience food - committing to a diet of more raw and natural food.  We sell honey at farmer's markets every weekend, meaning it is actually pretty easy for us to source our food locally from farmers we know and trust.  But it is often more tempting to visit the Kroger next door to carbo-load on macaroni and other foods my kids easily accept.  This quote challenges me to work harder to consider the long term consequences of my daily food choices.  If I want a better food system, it starts with me... the choice I make each morning at breakfast, again at lunch, and though-out the day.

We are often asked...


"Is your farmstand open in the winter?"  


Why yes, we are open year round... come on out and use the honor system.  Honey doesn't freeze so there is no need to worry about that.  The weather is currently ---4 degrees, so please wear warm clothes- the farmstand is not heated.  :-)  Stay warm!


No comments:

Post a Comment